Monday, December 11, 2017

Love is the pleasant surprise of where you will arrive each day


photo by J Mcspooran


You ask me to make the bed

& unsure into what, I take the mountains of blankets of sheets, we skinned like a fish to meet the day, and shape them into a castle. Thick at the foundation, it rises into spires - where I poke faux windows to wave from - balance balconies on all sides, flip a corner into a drawbridge across the moat and down a small hillock to the lake edge. Here on the shore of us, I collect shells. Put them to my ear, and sway in the sounds of our surf. In and out it pulls. The ridges where your ribs lay are waves. I canoe through their crests, to the far shore, climb the mound of your pillow to the hilltop and lay back - surveying the kingdom. I did not make this - for what can we truly make, more than let - yet humbly accept, here I find myself. I lay, letting the sun re-warm the place we shared, cast rainbows through the last of the rain, that end in my chest and drift into the warm scent of last night - and the dreams that danced. Barefoot in the grass.

Spring is the country 
where your border agents stamp
my passport page heart.


for dverse

24 comments:

  1. A unique take! The Japanese masters might be aghast... but we aren't Japanese masters, are we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fantasy castle -- and hopefully based on a real unfolding love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Spring is the country
    where your border agents stamp
    my passport page heart"

    My favourite verse of all... :) thanks for inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good description of love. I liked the haiku calling spring a country with border agents stamping passports. I also liked this phrase: "cast rainbows through the last of the rain"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inspiration! I'm living the haiku...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this line: 'Love is the pleasant surprise of where you will arrive each day'and the general dreaminess of the prose. The haiku is a pleasant surprise on its own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an artistic tussle in bed, if I ever did read one. I like how you’ve made your bed so you can lay down in Spring:) in Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to describe love! Ah yes....we sometimes build castles :)
    This line "for what can we truly make, more than let " I thought very interesting. Enjoyed reading this very much and the haiku is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful write! All of your writings, are love poems, the best kind, nothing too sticky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one felt a little sticky coming off the pen, so I am glad that it did not feel that way.

      Delete
  11. I love the architecture of this - the shaping, the skinning, the making of that bed and the intimacy shared~ It is a love letter written every day and night ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice way of putting forth your poem. A pleasant surprise every day, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The thought of making the bed into a castle, as well as the dreams you fill it with is a very pleasant surprise... in winter I prefer to stay in bed. Made me think of my home is my castle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An elegant haibun that reads like a lucid dream. A creative risk incorporating metaphor in your concluding haiku--one that pays off! Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Palpable sensuality in this remarkable poem. Your abilities make your profile all that much clearer. I stand amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved the haiku, makes me think that love that came to visit may have a chance to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This poem is pure enchantment, love indeed can be a dreamy surprise. May you always feel the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a stunning write X, reading a pure pleasure.
    Love is a wonderful thing and you certainly know it. This knowledge breathes out of your words.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete