Sunday, August 16, 2015

Praise


painting by claudia


It's not even October yet
& already I have opened my chest

Like the door they create cracking ribs
to replace hearts
                         malfunctioning
                         for whatever reason
                      
like the pumpkins of our youth,
fingers scooping the guts in a squish
of seeds & substance
                                    so we can carve a promise,
                                    a ward of protection,
                                    a face no one will want to test

for you,
I carve steps                so you can crawl in/
                                    to the cathedral
I have made of the hollow,
lit hundreds of candles in blessing
to the unnamed
                          that you might be known,

that every time you come
I
might

high note                             Hallelujah
                                            Hallelujah
                                            Hallelujah

& take you to confession,
laying my sins out before you as a blanket
spread, unpacked as a picnic basket
on a Summer afternoon - consumed

                                         that you might breathe on me
                                         a breeze, to break the heat & fill
                                         the billows of my lungs

ship sails, too long scuttled in their stalls,
now hard with wind

Tomorrow is a new land
I find only through your eyes

Chisel me / chisel me
Let's spray paint saints
names in the recesses, so we may                  be

Scrawl your scriptures with a bold and dangerous hand
on the inner most parts, so I can run
my fingers along them later
and feel the texture of you inside me

Wafer my mouth / that it may be pleasing
& when you offer the cup, I will

drink deep that I might
give back in tongues all that you have lavished upon
                                                                            me

I am crucified to your body
Be my jealous lover

There is no love
There is no love
                                            I wait
                                            for you.


18 comments:

  1. Hey X--what a beautiful and sensual and heart-felt love poem--you mix up a lot of troves and then go back and retrieve them--it is very well done, and such a sweet poem too. Really lovely work. I can imagine too the performing of it. k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love the passion in this - the raw- and realness, the not holding back anything but throwing yourself with all you are and have into his arms - love the carving of steps - worship at its best - so soulful and so physical as well - so ready to receive as well - i sing along - ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how sometimes you wish you could experience something for the first time again? Well I wish I could read this again for the first time. It nearly made me cry. Thank you for this.

    "that every time you come" ... From here to "the billows of my lungs" is my favorite section. Also these:

    "Tomorrow is a new land / I find only through your eyes / Chisel me / chisel me"

    "Scrawl your scriptures with a bold and dangerous hand / on the inner most parts, so I can run / my fingers along them later / and feel the texture of you inside me / Wafer my mouth"

    "drink deep that I might / give back in tongues all that you have lavished upon / me"

    ReplyDelete
  4. and feel the texture of you inside me

    I know it has been said but this poem is so passionate and the metaphors are amazing. Gorgeous writing!

    mindlovemisery

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the gift! I am always moved by your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading this piece, I keep thinking labyrinth....

      Delete
  6. TheRe is thiS living ForceSource inside me that has no words.. theSe words come throUgh me.. with words As Well.. and yes.. often when i read theM..
    thEy make
    me cry too..
    the magic
    man is
    in our heArt..
    in thE skyes
    spirRit
    expresSinG
    soUl
    and in her
    out herE
    all arOund
    uS
    aLiVe
    wITh
    eYes
    eArs
    GOD
    wOrds
    that reach
    ALLthatiS
    aS
    WeLL
    BEinG
    WaVe
    of US
    OCEANaLL..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful and resounding hymn of praise, echoing the hope and gratitude of being blessed with the words ~

    Specially love this part:

    Scrawl your scriptures with a bold and dangerous hand
    on the inner most parts, so I can run
    my fingers along them later
    and feel the texture of you inside me


    Also love Claudia's painting ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I love it too. I am a bit of a fan of the artist.

      Delete
  8. My whole comment just disappeared! Oy! I loved this from Halloween, hollowed pumpkins with candles to 'sins laid out as a blanket' and 'tomorrow is a new land' (so accurate). Also liked your double entendres of both religious and sexual meanings at the end. Well done - you have such talent x!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my...oh wow on everything, but this here:
    Scrawl your scriptures with a bold and dangerous hand
    on the inner most parts, so I can run
    my fingers along them later
    and feel the texture of you inside me

    and the last line blew me away.....oh my gosh X you are a brand new generation

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Tomorrow is a new land / I find only through your eyes"...love the deep emotion expressed here also the beauty & passion the words contain...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waiting can be painful but it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, to share a love like that and be able to put it into such singing, exalted words. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully uplifting! There is so much rawness and it takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster. Chisel me, which defines who and what your are the human and spiritual self. Amazing words from a wordsmith with a message.

    Scrawl your scriptures with a bold and dangerous hand
    on the inner most parts, so I can run
    my fingers along them later
    and feel the texture of you inside me

    The alpha and omega...the beginning and the end...a spiritual love that runs deep in your soul..you are a very passionate being..

    ReplyDelete
  14. ps - always nice to see Claudia's artwork...

    ReplyDelete